Friday, January 23, 2009

I Am Not Your Mother

dscn01511Arriving around 7am, I am first in the office in the morning.  Each day I pass this window and it's occupant and each day I think about throwing it away.  You see, at my house if you put something down and it is not in it's "proper place" for what I consider an unacceptable amount of time, you can bet it will not be there when you come back for it.  So why then, do I continue to pass what is obviously garbage and leave it in an unacceptable place?  Am I afraid, that like my husband looking in the office for his belt, someone will come back for a drink and will be distraught with dry mouth and nothing to quench their thirst?  Maybe I am performing some sort of test on the others in the office to see how long it will take one of them to throw it away.  Maybe I am just lazy.  Maybe I am too busy playing chicken with the alarm system.  Whatever it is, I am not throwing the can away.

*Disclaimer: I enter through the dock area, I just realized how dirty that window is but that is a whole other issue.

6 comments:

Tara R. said...

I got tired of going for a cup of coffee and finding spent packets left in the coffee maker (it's one of those single cup, coffee makers) or no water left in the reservoir. I finally put up a sign telling people what their mommies apparently forgot to tell 'em ~ clean up after yourself. I would leave the can there too.

Momo Fali said...

I do that at home too. I'll see a glove on the floor (not mine) and wait, and wait, and wait, and wait for someone else to pick it up. I don't know why I bother waiting, because I'm the one who does it in the end!

Trannyhead said...

See - I notice this collective mentality at offices in general. As in - the guy who leaves his dish in the sink in the office kitchen thinking somehow it will wash itself? Umm ... not so much. Or the guy who misses the trashcan throwing his Starbucks away and it slops all over the carpet but he doesn't clean it up? Yeah, him too. As for the can? Who knows why it was left behind - but I love that nobody moves it.

The Rev. said...

Foul.

I say toss it. Then again, I'm a neat freak, as well (as is the Good Colonel, thankfully).

Jason said...

You're missing a golden opportunity.

Replace the old one with a new one. Then see how long it takes someone to realize that it's a new one.

Michelle said...

You and I must have been cut from the same cloth, Mrs. Benton...

You're not lazy, you're a grown up...you work with grown ups, and in MY handbook for grown ups, it says to clean up after yourself. Just like you said, I'm not your mother! Be responsible! Take pride in yourself and your surroundings!

Although, as annoying as the situation is, I agree with Trannyhead...it's pretty amusing that nobody has moved it!