Monday, October 27, 2008

Dear MODOT

It has been a while. I am sure you are busy but I hope this note finds you well. I realize it seems that you only hear from me when I want to complain; but frankly that is all I have for you. I will commend you for your effort to improve my drive from KC to STL but since I don't use 70 much anymore I really don't care. See, my issue has a longer history than that of the 70 corridor.

I have not lived in my hometown for almost five years now. I get back as much as I can but have been busy; you know with the boys and all. I was able to make a trip this weekend to see my brother in law that recently moved there. You know him, the guy with the cool downtown bachelor pad overlooking the new P&L area.

I digress. So I just arrive in town and while traveling on 435 realize that Kansas roads have seen better days. Living in JOCO for some time I was always pleased with the roads on that side of the state line. I cross over to Missouri and was pleasantly surprised with what seemed to be a newly paved I-35. Then it happened. I hit my pothole. You know the one. The one that I hit nearly every morning on my way to work downtown for three years. The one on 35 North, North of the SW Blvd exit and Just South of Rainbow. You know, the east side of the east lane. The one that I swore would suck my car into a black hole many a morning. You think I would have learned to avoid it over the years but it just kept getting bigger. I would prepare myself each morning but then get distracted by a crazy driver, or something on the radio, or the phone. Boom. There goes some more tread.

So here is my question. What the hell? Why is this pothole still there? I was not prepared for it this time but could not help but giggle my cynical little laugh when I hit it on Saturday. It was almost like the city was telling me something. Maybe is was saying "some things never change". Maybe it was saying "pay attention woman". Maybe it was saying "MODOT still sucks".

Or maybe it was saying "welcome home", "we missed you".

Either way thanks, but fix that damn thing. There are plenty of other ways to say hello.

6 comments:

Putz said...

you do know that it ruins your car when you hit potholes...the suspension, the muffler, the undercarriage, also rock chips will ruin your windshield

A Buns Life said...

I think I may know what pothole you are talking about.....

katie said...

man, i do not miss kc roads. but i get a nice reminder of them here in memphis, as the streets in the city are about the equivalent of the highways in missouri - sucky suckiness.

Putz said...

hey i have a very very personal question to ask you...are you reading i mean ready????piper i don't think ever invited me to her blog after she had the problems with a blogger....i hope i wasn.t that blogger, but how is she doing???married yet????dating yet????

The Rev. said...

Uh huh...good luck with that! Your fix should arrive about the same time that the Memphis police start their "active patrol" my apartment complex continues to promise is on its way...

When people from out of town ride in my car, they assume I'm the worst driver on the planet, swerving back and forth and such, when in reality I'm simply avoiding all the obstacles I've managed to memorize over the years, so I feel your pain.

Kimmylyn said...

Pot holes rip the life from your car.. they are the worst.. esp now that we are getting ready for prime pot hole time on Long Island..joy.